The Best Way to Store Fire Extinguishers in the Workplace
Almost all brick-and-mortar businesses have one or more portable fire extinguishers on hand. However, it is important for these extinguishers to be properly stored to ensure they are protected and remain in proper working order. At Getz Fire Equipment Company, we are your premier provider of fire protection products and services.
General Fire Extinguisher Storage Guidelines
Below are some general guidelines for storing fire extinguishers in the workplace:
- Place fire extinguishers in locations that match local code requirements for the maximum travel distance – the distance someone needs to travel to reach a fire extinguisher. The required distance may depend on the type of fire extinguisher and the hazard.
- Place fire extinguishers in vital areas of a building in which a fire may be particularly devastating, including where electrical or computer equipment is stored.
- Place fire extinguishers in high-risk fire hazard areas, such as kitchens.
Storing in Different Temperatures
It is important to store fire extinguishers at the proper temperature. Although modern fire extinguishers are designed for optimum performance in a wide temperature range, storing these units properly can help guarantee their effectiveness when used. The extinguisher manufacturer should provide a recommended temperature range for storage.
It is also important to store fire extinguishers at the proper angle, with the unit mounted properly using the correct brackets. This helps ensure the fire extinguishers are securely in place and easy to access.
Visibility and Accessibility
Fire extinguishers should be visible and easy to access. Here is some guidance on how to store fire extinguishers for optimum visibility and accessibility:
- Keep the space around the fire extinguisher uncluttered and clean.
- Do not hinder access to the fire extinguisher with obstructions.
- In dirty work areas, protect fire extinguishers with a removable cover.
- Mount fire extinguishers in a manner that prevents them from being easily damaged.
- Mount fire extinguishers at a height that makes it easy for everyone to access them, regardless of a person’s height. Mounting these units at 3 to 5 feet off the floor makes them easily accessible for most people.
- Ensure that the signs, label, or any other identifying feature is installed above the portable fire extinguisher.
As a critical component of fire safety in the workplace, fire extinguishers and their proper storage can help ensure their effective use in the case of fire.